School of Environmental Science and Engineering, Southern University of Science and Technology1
This study investigated the occurrence and intensity of drought in South Korea between 1951 and 2012, using two drought indices; Standardized Precipitation Index (SPI) and Palmer Drought Severity Index (PDSI). Spatial distributions of both drought indices over East Asia was examined to determine the possible association of drought occurrence in South Korea with its neighboring regions. Based on 3-month and 12-month SPI measured throughout the analysis period, drought occurs 34 and 14 times in South Korea. Drought frequency was significant at 8－10 months, and 2－3, 6－7, and 15 years for the 3-month and 12-month SPI, respectively, based on wavelet analysis. Drought events were also determined by PDSI and were similar to those evaluated by SPI before 2000; however, drought occurred more frequently after 2000. Across East Asia, 12-month SPI showed that the drought occurrence in South Korea was associated with the wet weather in the southern China, and based on PDSI, South Korea drought events were also associated with drought in central China. The difference between SPI and PDSI results indicates that multiple drought indices are necessary for better analysis and prediction of drought in South Korea.
1. Bruke, E. J., Brown, S. J. (2008) Evaluating uncertainties in the projection of future drought. J Clim 9:292-299.
2. Byun, H.-R., Lee, D.-K. (2002) Defining three rainy seasons and the hydrological summer monsoon in Korea using available water resources index. J Meteorol Soc Jpn 80(1):33-44.
3. Byun, H.-R., Wilhite, D. A. (1999) Objective quantification of drought severity and duration. J Clim 12:2747-2756.
4. Dai, A. (2011) Drought under global warming: a review. Adv Rev 2:45-65.
5. Dai, A. (2012) Increasing drought under global warming in observations and models. Nat Clim Change 3:doi:10.1038/ nclimate1633.
6. Harris, I., Jones, P. D., Osborn, T. J., Lister, D. H. (2014) Updated high-resolution grids of monthly climatic observations - the CRU TS3.10 Dataset. Int J Climatol 34:623-642.
7. Hayes, M. J., Svoboda, M. D., Wilhite D. A., Vanyarkho, O. V. (1999) Monitoring the 1996 drought using the standardized precipitation index. Bull Am Meteorol Soc 80(3):429-438.
8. Kempes, C. P., Myers, O. B., Breshears, D. D., Ebersole, J. J. (2008) Comparing response of Pinus edulis tree-ring growth to five alternate moisture indices using historic meteorologial data. J Arid Environ 72:350-357.
9. Kim, B.-S., Sung, J.-H., Kang, H.-S., Cho, C.-H. (2012) Assessment of drought severity over South Korea using standardized precipitation evapo-transpiration index (SPEI). J Korea Water Resour Assoc 45:887-900.
10. Kim, D.-W., Byun, H.-R. (2009) Future pattern of Asian drought under global warming scenario. Theor Appl Climatol 98:137-150.
11. Kim, D.-W., Byun, H.-R., Choi, K.-S., Oh, S.-B. (2011) A spatiotemporal analysis of historical droughts in Korea. J Appl Meteorol Climatol 50:1895-1912.
12. Kwak, J., Kim, S., Jung, J., Singh, Vijay. P., Lee, D.-R., Kim, H.-S. (2016) Assessment of meteorological drought in Korea under climate change. Adv Meteorol 2016:1-13.
13. Lau, K. M., Weng, H. (1995) Climate signal detection using wavelet transform: how to make a time series sing. Bull Am Meteorol Soc 76(12):2391-2402.
14. Lee, J.-H., Byun, Y.-H., Park, C.-K. (2001) The characteristics of drought in the Korean Peninsula in the spring of 2001. Atmosphere 11:342-345 (in Korean).
15. Lee, S.-M., Byun, H.-R. (2009) Some cause of the May drought over Korea. Asia-Pac J Atmos Sci 45:247-264.
16. Lee, Y.-H., Choi, Y.-J., Oh, J.-H. (2000) Analysis of low frequency fluctuation associated with the extreme of precipitation data. J Korean Data Anal Soc 2:57-67 (in Korean with English abstract).
17. McKee, T. B., Doesken, N. J., Kleist, J. (1993) The relationship of drought frequency and duration to time scales. Proceedings of Eighth Conference on Applied Climatology, Boston, MA. American Meteorological Society 179-184.
18. Min, S.-K., Kwon, W.-T., Park, E.-H., Choi, Y. (2003) Spatial and temporal comparisons of droughts over Korea with East Asia. Int J Climatol 23:223-233.
19. Oh, S.-B., Byun, H.-R., Kim, D.-W. (2014) Spatiotemporal characteristics of regional drought occurrence in East Asia. Theor Appl Climatol 117:89-101.
20. Palmer, W. (1965) Meteorological Drought. Research paper, No. 45. U.S. Department of Conmmerce Weather Bureau 58pp.
21. Park, C.-K., Schubert, S. D. (1997) On the nature of the 1994 East Asian summer drought. J Clim 10:10561070.
22. Park, J.-S., Jhun, J.-G., Kwon, M.-H. (2010) Prominent features of large-scale atmospheric circulation during spring droughts over northeast Asia. Int J Climatol 30:1206-1214.
23. Sheffield, J., Wood, E. F., Roderick, M. (2012) Little change in global drought over the past 60 years. Nat 491:435-438.
24. Sherwood, S., Fu, Q. (2014) A drier future? Sci 343:737-379.
25. Thornthwaite, C. W. (1948) An approach toward a rational classification of climate. Geogr Rev 38:55-94.
26. Torrence, C., Compo, G. P. (1998) A practical guide to wavelet analysis. Bull Am Meteorol Soc 79(1):61-78.
27. Vicente-Serrano, S. M., Begueria, S., Lopez-Moreno, J. I. (2010) A multiscalar drought index sensitive to global warming: The Standardized Precipitation Evapotranspiration Index. J Clim 23:1696-1718.