Miscanthus is a perennial rhizomatous grass. Among Miscanthus species, M. sinensis, M. sacchariflorus, and M. x giganteus and their varieties are widely planted worldwide. However, M. x giganteus must be propagated vegetatively owing to its sterility. Therefore, its propagation poses significant challenges both economically and to production efficiency. Most M. x giganteus is propagated by rhizomes that form nodes, internodes, and buds in a similar manner to above-ground stems. Therefore, we investigated the germination rate and strength of three different Miscanthus species, M. sinensis, M. sacchariflorus, and M. x giganteus. We found that, of these species, M. sacchariflorus performed best in terms of both germination rate and strength. The results of the current study could provide the starting point for further and extensive study of rhizome germination in Miscanthus species.
- Anderson, E., Arundale, R., Maughan, M., Oladeinde, A., Wycislo, A., Voigt, T. (2011) Growth and agronomy of Miscanthus x giganteus for biomass production. Biofuels 2:71-87.10.4155/bfs.10.80
- Clifton-Brown, J., Chiang, Y. C., Hodkinson, T. R. (2008) Miscanthus: genetic resources and breeding potential to enhance bioenergy production. In: Genetic Improvement of Bioenergy Crops. Vermerris W (Ed.). Springer Science and Business Media, LLC NY, USA. pp. 273-294.
- Lewandowski, I., Clifton-Brown, J. C., Scurlock, J. M. O., Huisman, W. (2000) Miscanthus: European experience with a novel energy crop. Biomass Bioenerg 19:209-227.10.1016/S0961-9534(00)00032-5
- Mutoh, N., Kimura, M., Oshima, Y., Iwaki, H. (1985) Special diversity and primary productivity in Miscanthus sinensis grasslands. I. Diversity in relation to stand and dominance. Bot Mag 98:159-170.10.1007/BF02488795
- Numata, M. (1974) Ed. Grassland vegetation. The ora and vegetation of Japan. p. 125. Elsevier, Tokyo.
- Perlack, R. D., Wright, L. L., Turhollow, A. F., Graham, R. L., Stokes, B. J., Erbach, D. C. (2005) Biomass as feedstock for a bioenergy and bioproducts industry: the technical feasibility of a billion-ton annual supply. US Department of Energy and US Department of Agriculture, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, TN, USA.
- Publisher :Agriculture and Life Sciences Research Institute, Kangwon National University
- Publisher(Ko) :강원대학교 농업생명과학대학 농업생명과학연구원
- Journal Title :Journal of Agricultural, Life and Environmental Sciences
- Journal Title(Ko) :강원농업생명환경연구
- Volume : 30
- No :2
- Pages :73-77
- Received Date :2018. 05. 03
- Accepted Date : 2018. 06. 24