Thrips are among the most important insect pest on many agricultural crops, including asparagus. In this study, we monitored thrips in asparagus greenhouses in Yanggu, Gangwon Province using different colored sticky traps from 2016 to 2017. In total, four species of thrips on asparagus were found: Frankliniella occidentalis, F. intonsa, Thrips tabaci, and T. palmi. Among them, the onion thrips, T. tabaci, was the most abundant thrips throughout the year. In total, 1,286 and 1,236 individuals of thrips were caught on 166 yellow and blue sticky traps, and 4,412 and 2,541 were caught on 228 yellow and blue sticky traps in 2016 and 2017, respectively. The number of thrips attracted to sticky traps was significantly different between the yellow and blue sticky traps in 2017, but was not in 2016. The highest numbers of thrips were recorded at the end of May and mid-June in 2016, but this shifted to mid-July in 2017. This result indicated that the onion thrips population was greatly affected by many variables, such as temperature, pesticide application, and harvest time.
- Cho, K., Eckel, C. S., Walgenbach, J. F., Kennedy, G. G. (1995) Comparison of colored sticky traps for monitoring thrips populations (Thysanoptera: Thripidae) in staked tomato fields. J Entomol Sci 30:176-190.10.18474/0749-8004-30.2.176
- Choi, K. S., Song, J. H., Yang, J. Y., Choi, H. R., Kim, D. S. (2014) Pest species, damages and seasonal occurences on greenhouse cultivated asparagus in Jeju, Korea. Korean J Appl Entomol 53:231-237.10.5656/KSAE.2014.06.0.00610.5656/KSAE.2014.09.3.001
- Gillespie, D. R., Vernon, R. S. (1990) Trap catch of western flower thrips (Thysanoptera: Thripidae) as affected by color and height of sticky traps in mature greenhouse cumber crops. J Econ Entomol 83:971-975.10.1093/jee/83.3.971
- Hoddle, M. S., Robinson, L., Morgan, D. (2002) Attraction of thrips (Thysanoptera: Thripidae and Aeolothripidae) to colored sticky cards in a California avocado orchard. Crop Protection 21:383-388.10.1016/S0261-2194(01)00119-3
- Kang, H. M., Kim, K. S., Kim, B. S., Kim, S. K., Kim, I. S., Ku, Y. G., Park, N. I., Yong, Y. R., Lee, J. K., Seo, H. T., Jeon, S. J., Hong, S. J. (2017) Asparagus. p. 216. World Science, Seoul, Korea.
- Moffitt, H. R. (1964) A color preference of the western flower thrips, Frankliniella occidentalis. J Econ Entomol 57:604-605.10.1093/jee/57.4.604a
- Natwick, E. T. (2016) UC IPM pest management guidelines - asparagus. University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources. US Statewide Integrated Pest Management Program. p. 50 (available from www.ipm.ucanr. edu/PDF/PMG/pmgasparagus.pdf).
- Paek, M. K., Hwang, J. M., Jeong, G. S., Kim, T. W., Kim, M. C., Lee, Y. J., Cho, Y. B., Park, S. W., Lee, H. S., Ku, D. S., Jeong, J. C., Kim, K. G., Choi, D. S., Shin, E. H., Hwang, J. H., Lee, J. S., Kim, S. S., Bae, Y. S. (2010) Checklist of Korean insects. pp. 39-41. In: Paek, M. K., Cho, Y. K. (eds.), Nature and Ecology Academic Series 2, Nature and Ecology, Seoul, Korea.
- Seo, M. J., Kim, S. J., Kang, E. J., Kang, M. K., Yu, Y. M., Nam, M. H., Jeong, S. G., Youn, Y. N. (2006) Attraction of the garden thrips, Frankliniella intonsa (Thysanoptera: Thripidae), to colored sticky cards in a Nonsan strawberry greenhouse. Korean J Appl Entomol 45:37-43.
- Terry, I. (1997) Host selection communication and reproductive behaviour. In: T. Lewis (ed.), Thrips as Crop Pests. CAB International, Wallingford. pp. 65-118.
- Vernon, R. S., Gillespie, D. R. (1990) Spectral responsiveness of Frankliniella occidentalis (Thysanoptera: Thripidae) determined by traps catches in greenhouses. Environ Entomol 19: 1229-1241.10.1093/ee/19.5.1229
- Yudin, L. S., Mitchell, W. C., Cho, J. J. (1987) Color preference of thrips (Thysanoptera: Thripidae) with reference to aphids (Homoptera: Aphididae) and leafminers in Hawaiian lettuce farms. J Econ Entomol 80: 51-55.10.1093/jee/80.1.51
- Journal Title :Journal of Agricultural, Life and Environmental Sciences
- Volume : 30
- No :2
- Pages :90-95
- Received Date :2018. 07. 03
- Accepted Date : 2018. 07. 10