This study was conducted to investigate the impact of light conditions and wet cold treatments on the characteristics of seed germination patterns of several wild vegetables. The 1,000-grain weight of wild vegetables ranged from 0.08 to 14.5 g. The germination rate of 9 species grown under light conditions was relatively higher than that of those grown under dark conditions. The germination rate of 10 species subjected to seed prechilling (2°C for 50 days) was relatively higher than that of the control. The average number of days to germination for 12 species (Adenophora triphylla var. japonica (Regel.) Hara, Allium sacculiferum Maxim, Allium senescens L., Aruncus dioicus var. kamtschaticus (Maxim.) Hara, Aster scaber Thunb., Asyneuma japonicum (Miq.) Briq., Cirsium setidens (Dunn) Nakai, Crepidiastrum denticulatum (Houtt.) Pak & Kawano, Ligularia fischeri (Ledeb.) Turcz., Peucedanum japonicum Thunb., Platycodon grandiflorum (Jacq.) A.DC. and Synurus deltoides (Aiton) Nakai) subjected to seed prechilling was lower than that of the control. In particular, the value of ΔADG following wet cold treatment was the lowest at -9.5 days and was the lowest for Adenophora triphylla var. japonica at -8.2 days, Aruncus dioicus var. kamtschaticus at -7.9 days, Peucedanum japonicum at -7.9 days, Allium senescens at -7.0 days, Aster scaber at -6.2 days and Allium sacculiferum at -6.1 days. The germination coefficients (ΔCG value 9.5－21.6) of four species Ligularia fischeri, Cirsium setidens, Synurus deltoides and Adenophora triphylla var. japonica were considerably increased by the wet cold treatment. However, Allium microdictyon, Heracleum moellendorffii Hance and Aralia elata (Miq.) Seem. did not germinate in all treatments.
- Cho, J. T., Yeon, K. I., Son, S. G., Kwon, K. C. (1985) A study on seed germination, growing and inorganic constituents of Aster tataricus L. var hortensis Nakai. J Korean Soc Hortic Sci 26:220-225.
- Jeoung, H. W. (1991) Studies on the propagation on Korea native Aralia (Aralia elata Seemann). Master’s Program. Kon-Kuk University, pp. 4-21.
- Kang, C. H., Kim, D. H. (2000) Effect of prechilling and alternating temperature on seed germination of native plants. Korean J Plant Res 13(3):202-207.
- Kim, S., Park, M. S., Park, H. K., Jang, Y. S. (1995) Studies on the seed development and germination of Adenophora tryphylla DC. Korean J Medicinal Crop Sci 3:66-70.
- Kwon, T. R., Jo, J. H., Kwon, Y. S., Lee, S. P., Choi, B. S. (1993) Study on seed treatments to facilitate germination of some wild edible greens. RDA J Agric Sci 35(2):416-421.
- Park, K. W., Kim, Y. T., Kang, H. M. (1995) Effects of temperature, light condition and chemicals on the germination of Youngia sonchifolia Max. Res Rep Coll Nat Res Korea Univ 35:63-70.
- Park, K. W., Lee, G. P., Park, K. W., Jeong, J. C. (1998) Seed morphology of thirty Korean wild green species and effect of seed stratificaion on germination. J Korean Soc Hortic Sci 39(2):129-134.
- Research Institute of Wild Vegetable Gangwondo ARES (2017) Production and utilization of wild vegetable (2nd ed). pp. 4-9. Chuncheon, Korea.
- Yang, Y. J., Kim, Y. S. (1993) Seed germination of Korean wild medicinal plants: Capsella bursa-pastoris, Persicaria perfoliata and Commelina communis. J Korean Soc Hortic Sci 34(5):315-319.
- Journal Title :Journal of Agricultural, Life and Environmental Sciences
- Volume : 30
- No :2
- Pages :64-72
- Received Date :2018. 05. 30
- Accepted Date : 2018. 07. 09